WEEK 9 – PLN & Education

PLNs can help give power to messaging by increasing the reach of messages. Examples of this effect include ideas ‘trending’ on platforms like Twitter, and concepts going viral on the Internet in general. When content attracts attention and gains traction in this way it can benefit individuals, causes, and communities. The type of benefit to be gained is sometimes financial but can also include increased awareness and knowledge of topics, or incitement of a desire to support change in certain capacities.
For example, by offering to guest lecture for EDCI 338, Brad Baker increases Indigenous representation and brings attention to the importance of continued representation of Indigenous stories within the classroom.

Some of the most important lessons there are to be learned often do take place in environments beyond the classroom. Traditionally this has included places such as our homes as well as the places we work, volunteer, and socialize. Most recently with the advent of personal computers, mobile phones, and social media, a lot of learning has been taking place online. A good example of some of the places that online learning can occur can be found in my third blog post, where the V&R map, I have created can be found. I think that because information can be spread so rapidly through social platforms, what is most pertinent to learners can change very quickly, and education needs to be responsive to the needs, values, and interests of students.

Using online tools students are able to further knowledge learned from inside of the classroom through discussion with peers or further research, find new ways of contextualizing information, as well as ways to connect existing knowledge to new topics. As well, thanks to technology, this type of research and discourse can occur at any time of day. The increased accessibility of such resources that a PLN provides can also act to promote an attitude of lifelong learning even long after one’s post-secondary education or career-related training has been completed.

I think that the potential for collaboration that PLNs offer helps the development of thoughts and ideas in education discourse tremendously. With the utilization of PLNs in education, many of the principles of collectivism can be met. Some of the principles of collectivism include beliefs such as learning knowledge rest[ing] in diversity, fostering and maintaining connections critical to knowledge generation,
understanding the meaning of information through a lens of shifting reality (Veletsianos, 2010), etc. PLNs are also necessary to being able to produce ‘open teachers’ and facilitate ‘open teaching’ (Veletsianos, 2010).

An example of a hindrance to the development of thoughts in education discourse would be the social norms associated with different learning environments or resources that come to be prevalent and dictate what is acceptable to be discussed.

Some challenges that come with utilizing social media communications in education settings are professional boundaries, professional conduct, and confidentiality/privacy. A good example of a professional boundary could look like a doctor on YouTube knowing that he or she is not able to provide medical advice to people in the comments due to issues relating to liability in providing advice to people who are not patients of theirs. An example of a violation of professional conduct for example could look like a person deciding to post a picture of themselves attending a party during a pandemic, for example, and losing professional credibility (which would have a strong impact on a person’s PLN). It is also important to maintain confidentiality if say a certain piece of information is one that you have not been permitted to share publicly with others.

Miller, Jesse. “EDCI 338 – BRAD BAKER.” YouTube, uploaded by MILLER, 04 Mar. 2021, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy63SmEpvCw.

Emerging Technologies in Distance Education, by George Veletsianos, AU Press, 2010, pp. 128–138.

1. Jayne

HI Rachelle,
    Great post. I love how you write about how online tools can help contextualize concepts and connect existing knowledge to concepts. This in my opinion is key to learning. If you can see why you are learning something, who it can help and can converge old thinking with the new, you have a beautiful recipe for growth (learning). I also enjoy your examples of challenges and boundaries using social media. As an educator mine have a lot to do with privacy and consent. A lot of caregivers do not want to use certain online communications due to images being online and this stops them from using a tool which can be amazing for them to see into the classroom and take their child’s learning home. The caregivers’ reasons are valid. Therefore, I when I use the online communications, I also look for apps and other tools that can diminish any potential fears. For example, I use an app that blurs our faces of the students whose caregivers do not give consent for. This protects their privacy and still allows us to communicate and use an incredibly inclusive tool that extends learning.

2. callim10

Hey Rachelle! I enjoyed reading your blog. It helped me be able to organize my thoughts for my blog. You mentioned your VR map for the learning places outside of the classroom. I found a really neat picture that expands on the VR maps we did. I thought may be you would find it interesting. I can’t seem to past it in my comment but I will post it in my blog and if you feel like it, you can have a look. Have a good weekend!

3. Nav

Hi Rachelle,

I really enjoyed reading your blog. I wholeheartedly agree with you when you state that a lot of our education and even growth, occurs in places outside of the classroom. Personally speaking, the classroom has taught me a lot and given me a lot of knowledge, but in many ways, it has not taught me how to be a human being, and the majority of my growth associated with developing an understanding of the world has happened in fields such as volunteering, as you mention. Looking forward to reading more from you! Cheers!

4. zongyujia

Hi Rachelle,
    This is very informative and you were able to capture the gist of this week’s topic. I agree with the idea that social media can increase the reach of messages. In social media platforms like Twitter, social media users can make a certain topic trend through using a hashtag. For educators like Brad, I believe that having a wide reach would really be advantageous as it will assure them that they are not only reaching learners in their class. Nevertheless, social media is still not particularly created for education that is why learners can be distracted by other content when they used it for learning.